Thursday, March 20, 2014

Candor

           I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. But I still haven't had time to get some photos together. So there'll be a catch up post with Candor photos in it. Hopefully in at least a week or two. And here is the Candor faction.

           The Candor are seekers of the truth. I really admire that about them actually. The truth is such a very important thing. The Candor shun anything that is deceptive. I don't know about you, but I hate to be deceived or used. Honesty is something I highly value. But do I always tell the truth?

It must require bravery to be honest all the time. I wouldn't know.

          Uh, no. I wish I was. In some ways, like Tris found out in Insurgent, being truthful from the start saves a lot of time, broken hearts, and stress. If the truth will hurt when you tell it, usually prolonging it will only make it hurt more when you do say it. Being honest sometimes is another kind of bravery.

I'm not brave, I shot Will and I can't admit it, I can't even admit it . . .

           The Candor see everything as right and wrong, black and white (as their faction colors suggest). There are no gray areas to the Candor. There is no lesser of two evils. There is no, " well, which ever decision you make it could still be the right decision depending on your intentions." I used to view the world this way when I was younger (because, you know, I'm 22 so I'm just sooo ancient :P). There was a good choice and a bad choice. No in between. No, "that choice could be good or bad depending on the way you look at it." All that? No more. There are too many gray choices in life. I don't know how the Candor do it. I only wish everything was always black and white. It'd make things so much easier.

. . .most people refer to it as the Merciless Mart, because the Candor are merciless, but honest.
           The Candor are very blunt. They will set you straight if you're wrong. If they don't like you, or if they do like you, they will speak their mind. They won't lie to save your feelings because that is deception. They will not keep their opinion to themselves because the world must know the truth of what they are .thinking. They must be transparent to everyone so each person knows where he stand with everyone else. Being an open book isn't naivety to them, it's honesty.

Candor is cruel for forcing them from him, for taking away his freedom.
           They even go so far as to have developed a truth serum. Before you can be accepted into the Candor faction you are to be injected with truth serum, and in front of the whole faction tell all you secrets. That's way over the top for me. For one, as Tris thought also, shouldn't I have a right to privacy? And secondly, does it matter than when I was ten I had an imaginary pet turtle (that was an illustration by of way)? Does anybody care? Will it make any difference, good or bad? Some things aren't that important.

It's not cruelty, maybe, but a desire to understand, that motivates them.
           If the world worked on Candor philosophy, it would be very honest. Very transparent. Very definite. Very impossible. I think, honesty would often be used as an excuse to be rude and humiliate others. The expert liers, the con men, the hypocrites, and manipulators would run rampant (if someone is taught to detect lies, they can also learn to tell lies without being detected), because human nature is flawed. If everyone had the desire to do good and could succeed at it than a Candor society might actually work. (actually anything could work if human nature wasn't flawed). Unfortunately that's not the case.

           All the same though, I do like the Candor. I envy them, really. Simply because they speak their mind. Sometimes I wish that I was brave enough to speak so freely. To them, communication is simple. All you have to do is say it. Nobody minds. Everybody does it. To them, the choice is easy. It's black and white. (*sighs* so unfair)

"Thank you for your honesty." - the Candor

          Also I'm going to see the Divergent movie tonight! I'll see if I can review that without too many spoilers. . .

2 comments:

  1. You're seeing Divergent tonight?? OH I'M SO JEALOUS. ;) Nah, good on you! It doesn't come out in Australia for another 2 weeks (which I'm secretly weeping about) and the internet is going to be sooo full of talk about it till then. Are you going to review it, though? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two weeks? That's crazy! I'll see if I can review it without spoilers. But I don't know if I can. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. . .

      Delete

[insert witty saying about comments] And you may insert your comment below. :)