Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Candor pictures and random stuff

          I have very few white clothes. Most of my clothes are black, black and blue, or green. So the Candor outfit is actually what I clog in during performances. I read Veronica Roth's blog where she modeled outfits for each faction, and Candor dresses very formally. So this might not be formal enough.




The truth serum chair. 
(It's not called that in the book. But that's how I think of it.)




Brushing up on some logic and good reasoning skills with The Fallacy Detective by Nathaniel and Hans Bluedorn.


        

          I was reading at Scribblings of My Pen and Tappings of My Keyboard, and I found a very interesting post. It had to do with depressing and serious books and not chasing your readers away with the doom and gloom.

          In a workshop I attended once, Steven James said that when you have many action scenes strung together there needs to be a short time of reprieve. Basically to let the characters, and the readers, catch their breath and absorb what's just happened. Maybe there's a problem they need to solve (like Tris and Tobias talking about the Erudite's plans) or a time to mourn and heal (like Katniss arranging flowers around Rue and singing to her) or literally a time to catch their breath (because it's only realistic, characters have to breathe too ;) ).

           Just as you need a break from the chases and the duels, the swordfights and the sinking ships, you also need a break from the depressing and solemn moments in the book (though sometimes depressing and solemn moments happen during chases and swordfights). You need a psychological break. Some time to laugh, be lighthearted, etc. Or else the readers get worn to the ground.

          While reading The Hunger Games trilogy, I often had to take breaks from reading, because often times I felt like a was gasping for air. To me there was very few mental breaks to breath. It must've been true for Katniss too since she end up with PTSD.

          Sometimes these mental breaks are hard to fit in. In the weird idea book that I hope so start, it'll be more difficult to find these kind of breaks. Since the main character is lacking in the humor department. But maybe I can make up for it by giving her hilarious friends, maybe even a funny villain. Oddball's story though is fairly easy, since the characters are always wanting to pick on each other any chance they get. Usually it's harder to get them to be serious. I still don't understand why characters must always have it their way all the time. I'm the writer after all.

          On another note, there's this great post on YA Highway about what plot is and how plot and characters work together. Oddball and Rocky are giving me snarky looks that say, "And you thought we didn't have any plot, huh?"

4 comments:

  1. Oh I totally agree about the not depressing your readers too much. I'm kind of working on that right now in edits... :( I tend to thump my characters the WHOLE time and then give them a break in the last chapter (by dying...er, lol, I'm juuuuust kidding). But you know how Blood was. ;) I'm working on adding a few less depressing scenes. We'll see how it works out. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know sometimes the bad just gets characters down and won't ever let them back up. I'm sure it'll turn out great. :)

      Delete

[insert witty saying about comments] And you may insert your comment below. :)