Monday, September 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!

           Um, a day late. Yes, but I am always a day. Heh. Perhaps I should look into becoming a wizard. . .

           So yesterday, Sept. the 22nd, was the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. There are many people out there celebrating. The Book Chewers had a lovely post commemorating hobbits.

                                     

            The Edge of the Precipice is spending the whole week on this fantastic celebration. Hamlette is hosting a Tolkien blog party. What fun, right? So I decided to take part and answer the questions below. You can find them here. Tons of cool giveaways. And today she posted a crossword puzzle.


           On to the questions.

1.  Have you read The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit? If so, how many times?


           I've read The Hobbit one and half times and The Fellowship of the Ring once. I'm hoping to read The Two Towers soon.
2.  Have you seen any movies based on them?

           I've seen The Hobbit movie, which was done rather nicely, and The Fellowship of the Ring. I want to finish the other two books before I watch the other movies though.
3.  Who first introduced you to Middle Earth?

           My homeschooled friends. LotR was their thing. One of them had a giant poster of Aragorn. Not that I knew who he was then. Later on I had some fellow blogger friends who loved LotR. They used the acronym all the time until I finally figured out what it meant. They were shocked and appalled that I'd never read any of Tolkien's books then proceeded to convince me to read them. So I tried The Hobbit.

4.  Who are your three favorite characters?  (Feel free to elaborate on whys.)

           Aragorn is my favorite out of all of them. You know how Batman fans like Batman because, well, he's Batman? It's like that.
           Gandalf is some much fun. He must always be right, but when it is clear that he is wrong and his wrong choice has proved dangerous to others, he will admit his mistake. Eventually. He is also very curious and will transverse all of Middle Earth until he finds the answers he searches for. He's very determined and should be considered one of the greater wizards for his character if not for his skill.
           Sam. He is the most loyal and faithful friend I've ever read. 

5.  What's your favorite Middle Earth location?

           Lothlorien
6.  If you could belong to one of the races of Free Folk (Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Ents), which would you choose?

           I would want to be of the Elves and study the runes and stories of ancient times. But I would prefer to be of the Men (uh, women) and be a Ranger.

7.  Would you rather eat lembas or taters?

           I can't answer this question unfortunately. Because I can't remember what either of them are, or maybe I just haven't read that far. Sorry.
8.  If you lived in Middle Earth, what weapon would you prefer wielding?
 
           Bow and arrows.

9.  What draws you to Tolkien's stories?  (The characters, the quests, the themes, the worlds, etc.)

            I love the worlds. The different lands and cultures of the Free Folks. I like the friendship themes also. The characters are nice too. The over story and its plot, I guess that counts as the quests, I enjoy also. 

10. List up to five of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.

             There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. . .   - The Hobbit

            Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much listened to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.   -The Hobbit (it really makes me think about writing and creating stories with good tension and conflict)

           Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon you faces!  -Elrond, The Fellowship of the Rings (I've always wanted to say this when someone departs :)

          
                    said Frodo sharply. . . ."I want to think!"
                   "Good heavens!" said Pippin. "At breakfast?"
  -The Fellowship of the Ring

           Not all who wander are lost   -The Fellowship of the Ring

          Have a wonderful week friends!

4 comments:

  1. Great answers! By the way, if you want to read the Two Towers with some bloggy friends, I'm starting a LOTR read-along later this week. It'll take a while to get to Two Towers, since we're reading them in order and only doing 2-3 chapters a week (so we can discuss them properly), but thought you might be interested.

    And yeah, you haven't gotten to lembas and taters yet. Lembas is Elvish "waybread" that they eat while traveling. Taters is just what Sam calls potatoes :-)

    Thanks for joining the party. Happy Tolkien Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOTR read-along? That sounds fun. I might just wait then. . .

      Delete
  2. BTW, you won the welcome mat in the giveaway! Please check the email address you provided for more info, okay?

    ReplyDelete

[insert witty saying about comments] And you may insert your comment below. :)