Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Classics Club


           (in which you get to snicker at Ashley's ignorance of classics)
     
           I recently read a post from Candy Apple Books about a site called The Classics Club. It's rather interesting. The Classics Club often does a Classics Spin in which they each have a list of  20 classics they want to read. On a set day they choose a number between 1 and 20 and what ever number they pick you have to read that book on your list. And for this next spin. The book has to be finished by October 1.
    
           I decided to take the challenge. I haven't read many classics. The most exposure I've had to them is watching Wish-Bone as a kid. :) But I've always wanted to. So I will do this! Though I'm not sure if I can come up with twenty classics off the top of my head. :P And I'm not going to categorize them. Here we go:

1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

2. The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas (I've seen this movie recently and loved it.)

3. Silas Marner by ? (I tried to read this when I was younger, uh, because I saw the Wish-Bone version. But it really confused me; I couldn't finish it.)

4. The Purloined Letter by ? (I vaguely remember the Wish-Bone version, aside from that I know nothing of it. But it sounds interesting.)

5. The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (I already plan to read this. So two birds. One stone.)

6. Sherlock Holmes by Arther Doyle Conan (see! I know this author. I suppose I'll have to figure out which book comes first)

7. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (always wanted to read this!)

8. The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (Again, I plan to read this one anyways.)

9. Innocence Abroad by Mark Twain (I read a snippet of this in my literature. Hilarious! Now I have to read it all one day.)

10. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (so I only know the author because the book was on someone else list. . . it's not cheating, it's. . . resourceful)

11. The Decameran by Giovanni Boccaccio (you'll know why after I review The Knight, and yes, that is coming up soon!)

12. The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer

13.The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (because I saw the Alfred Hitchcock version)

14. Sweeney Todd or The String of Pearls by Anonymous (because I'm now perusing the Classic Club's archives to find anything familiar, and my friend sang a song about it in choir)

15. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (it was in their archives, and this book has always made me curious as to what's in it's pages)

16. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

17. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

18. Inferno by Dante (I've always wondered what this was about)

19. A Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

20. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

           So this coming Monday they will draw the number. It sounds like so much fun (even though I have no idea what most of these books are about). Anybody else want to do it too?
    
           Also that review? The Knight by Steven James. It's coming up soon. Just thought I'd remind you. :) It's a mystery.

           Do you read many classics? Have you read any of the ones on my list? How did you like them? Or do you rarely read classics?

1 comment:

  1. I've read 1 8 10 15 16 17 and 20. They're all excellent!

    ReplyDelete

[insert witty saying about comments] And you may insert your comment below. :)