Thursday, April 4, 2013

DF: a poem by J. R. R. Tolkien

         I must apologize that I have not been keeping up with Tuesday Quips. This Tuesday I had very little access to a computer. Our internet at home likes to slug around as if the whole world will move in slow motion with it.
 
         But for now, I am reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" by J. R. R. Tolkien. It's my first time to ever read The Lord of the Rings. So don't give anything away! :) Honestly, I've only read the first chapter. I know. I've been busy. Unfortunately, Tolkien's style is a little. . . boring to me at times. Except when he gets witty, or attempts to be. But the story itself is wondrous. And his poems and songs are pretty good.

          So a poem from "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first chapter, of course. Bilbo leaves the Shire singing:

 The Road goes ever on and on
      Down from the door where it began.
 Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      And I must follow, if I can,
 Pursuing it with eager feet,
     Until it joins some larger way
 Where many paths and errands meet.
     And whither then? I cannot say.

         
I always hear it sung in a deep, rich voice. Isn't it a great the-start-of-an-adventure kind of poem? J. R. R. Tolkien nailed it. And I just got out of English 1302 where my professor talked about the proper way to write a Works Cited page, MLA style. I feel as if I'm doing him some wrong by not including that in this blog post, but don't worry. I won't bore you with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[insert witty saying about comments] And you may insert your comment below. :)